Originally this property was part of the Kitsilano Indian Reserve and was eyed as parkland from the early 1920s. It was a park by 1949 though there is no exact date for the official dedication. It is named for the nearby Seaforth Armory. In July 1986 the Park Board approved a fountain memorial to commemorate the August 6, 1945 atomic bombing of Hiroshima. Artist Sam Carter created a water-filled bronze cauldron resting on granite containing an eternal flame, a major feature of the park.
In the 1992 Seaforth Park officially joined the ranks of Peace Parks across Canada during a moving ceremony which included local school children with their specially crafted peace quilt and the planting of 12 Cercidiphyllum trees (Katsura) creating a peace grove at the park's southern end. It's new name became Seaforth Peace Park.