Jonathan Rogers, a native of Wales having arrived on Vancouver’s first passenger train on May 23rd, 1887, was one of the longest serving Park Board Commissioners, 1908 – 1934 plus acting as its Chairman for nine of those years. An untimely illness forced him to retire. He died in 1945 leaving the Park Board $100,000 to develop a park in the vicinity of Broadway and Cambie Street. The Park Board was slow in acquiring land in this park deficient area due to property sellers holding out for more money. Finally, on July 10, 1959 the park was officially dedicated and named for its benefactor with Mrs. Elizabeth Rogers in attendance.