Originally this park came under the municipality of South Vancouver before the 1929 amalgamation of the City of Vancouver. It was most likely named, though this is not for certain, after the adjacent Collingwood School or Admiral Collingwood, a well known British naval figure of the 19th century. There has been a Collingwood Street on the west side of Vancouver since the City’s inception in 1886.
During the 1930s and 1940s Collingwood Park was known for its popular community picnics and field days and was singled out as throwing one of the best community parties “that the likes of the suburbs had ever seen” during Vancouver’s Golden Jubilee celebrations in July 1936. Historical records also show that the community picnic of 1940 even bested previous festivities when it featured a 33 piece firemen’s band, dancing under spotlights at the tennis courts and children’s novelty races. It was noted that the success of these parties was largely due to the residents’ desire to put the worries of World War II behind them, if just for one night.