This site has a long and convoluted history before it was turned over to the Vancouver Park Board on November 23, 1971. Since then it was primarily leased to, in the beginning, the Metro Baseball League, and most recently to the Vancouver Canadians Single A baseball group.
The construction of a stadium on the eastern slopes of Queen Elizabeth Park followed the destruction by fire of a stadium at Athletic Park located at 5th and Hemlock. The land there was owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway who built a stadium in 1913. In 1944 the site and facility was bought by Capilano Breweries. The stadium burned down in 1945 but by then the City wanted to purchase the land for the ramps leading to the planned Granville Bridge. In a convoluted scheme, the City paid the brewery $25,000 for their land and then the brewery gave the money to the Park Board for the development of parkland in the Riley/Queen Elizabeth Park neighbourhood. In 1950 the City authorized a special $300,000 debenture issue for the stadium. These 25 year - three percent sinking fund bonds were to be purchased by Capilano Brewery Ltd. and the new park would then be leased back to them for 25 years, the same length of time as the life of the bond issue. The stadium was completed in 1951 at a cost of $325,000.
Many activities were offered at the site beyond baseball and some even more interesting ideas were proposed. In 1955, Fred “Cyclone” Taylor, former hockey great and then Park Board Commissioner, suggested with some support, to use the site in winter as an outdoor ice rink.