Developed around the turn of the 20th Century, this lovely green space was originally known as English Bay Park. On July 26, 1911 the park was renamed Alexandra after Queen Alexandra, Britain’s King Edward VII’s consort. The bandstand was built in 1914.
When the private homes and boarding houses lining English Bay in Vancouver’s early years were removed, long time volunteer lifeguard Joe Fortes received special dispensation for his sterling community service. Fortes’ small shack was relocated across the street to Alexandra Park where he was allowed to live out the days of his life. Joe Fortes died in 1912. In 1926 the Kiwanis Club erected a drinking fountain in “Old Joe’s” memory which was completely restored by another generation of Kiwanis Club members in 1998. The latest restoration included a brick plaza and lighting for the fountain.